CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

2010/02/10

Day 219 - Daegu University Korean Classes

I got to Daegu University fine on Sunday. Saturday was a bust--I went all the way to Seoul with my luggage only to find out that the refugee classes had been canceled. I was pretty pissed. they forgot to contact me because that first week I went to the hospital and they didn't get my cell phone number.

Classes are pretty good. I'm in an intermediate level with a bunch of F*bright English teachers from my Chuncheon orientation class and a handful of Japanese college students. It's really interesting to live in the International House because there's so many people from all over the world, but we're all speaking to each other in Korean. I made a Japanese friend, Yuta, and went out for grilled pork with him and a few friends last night.

We don't have classes on Monday due to the Lunar New Year, so I'm going back to Nonsan to hang out with the boyfriend there since Sunday is Valentine's Day and fo'sho I didn't slave over those chocolates and the scrapbook to present them AFTER VDay. Besides, there's nothing to do at Daegu University because the university is actually a good 30 minutes from Daegu city = nothing to do. It's not even much of a college town, not many bars or restaurants out the front gate. And the weather here is super poopy. It's been foggy and rainy since I got here. Maybe paying the extra first-born-son for Ewha University or Ganada hagwon in Seoul would've been worth it... hmm...

But, all in all, it's nice to be back at a college. I love learning and I feel like my Korean is improving a lot, so it's a nice way to spend my last few weeks of vacation. Now, I just need to make Yuta my bff so I can travel to Japan for cheap... (don't tell DY!)

2 comments:

irina sufemo said...

Hi, I got here by a comment of yours in a Korean blog :)
I want to know how did you get a job as English teacher in Korea? I want to apply for one next year.. I'm finishing college now... so, If you may tell me something about your experience it would be great
I 'll follow your blog, it seems very interesting, bye!

BRB, Korea! said...

Hey, Irina!

I got my job through a scholarship that I am technically not supposed to mention in this blog. But if you look at this website, it's the first one listed when you go to Teaching English in Korea --> Types of Employment in Korea --> (first listed)

http://www.teachenglishinasia.net/teaching-english-in-korea

Another program not listed on that website that'll get you here without too much difficulty:

TaLK (Teaching and Learning in Korea):
http://www.korea.net/News/News/NewsView.asp?serial_no=20080604009


You're most likely not TEFL/TESL certified, so working at a university (the best paying gigs) isn't possible. Also, I don't recommend finding a job through a hagwon because they tend to be a little more sketchy.

IN SHORT:

Look into (my scholarship), EPIK, or TaLK! You can get to Korea and have a job relatively worry-free through those programs.