CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

2009/10/01

Day 87 -- iPod FOUND!, Chuseok Gifts, and Host Brother Bonding Time

iPOD FOUND

Yesterday, I was told that the search for my iPod was ending because it was impossible to FORCE the theif to return it. Fair enough, and it was partially my fault anyway for leaving it behind in the English room. Not an hour after this was told to me, though, the teacher who gives me a ride to school every morning came rushing into the room. "Is it black? A black case?"

They found it! The kid took the 10,000W note that I'd tucked into the case, but it felt so good to have it back!

The vice principal thinks that the student's conscience got the better of him. I think they just got tired of trying to guess my password and didn't think to look up how easy it is to crack it. Oh well, OLLEH!


CHUSEOK GIFTS

It's the Chuseok holiday now. Almost everybody has Friday off from work/school and the stores are absolutely packed with the Korean equivalent of last-minute Thanksgiving shopping. Although the ETAs were all told to originally get a gift for the Koreans close in our lives, there's some controversy over where the line is between gift-giving and bribery. I ended up not getting anything because nobody in my school had done any gift-giving, so I thought it might've been one of those older-generation traditions.

Until my principal called me up to his office and gave me a very pretty jewelry box.




So now I feel bad, I didn't get anything for anybody :[
HOST BROTHER BONDING
Yeah, I did complain a lot in the last entry about the host family situation being not perfect, but I really am lucky that I have a fun family. Yesterday, for example, after host dad went to bed, the rest of us stayed up to chat and be silly together. The following video is an example of this.




After this was taken, Min Kyeong and host mom went to bed while Sae Yeob and I stayed up until 3:30am chatting. It was nice for him to finally realize that I'm not, in fact, an old teacher lady. For the first time, he realized that I'm actually not that much older than he is--he could have been one of my residents, for example, when I was an RA in the dorms! We talked about how his upcoming culture shock will be the same as my culture shock coming to Korea, we exchanged slang and swears, talked about our personal lives and our most honest hopes for our futures. It was maybe the most I've ever disclosed to a Korean so far and it makes me sad that I'll be losing my little brother in just two months.

He applied to Penn State, so I'm hopeful he's accepted there. That way, I can help him out and keep an eye on him with all my contacts back on campus.



The weekend is gonna be slow and Nonsan will be like a ghost town I'm sure, so I might take the opportunity to photograph some of the stranger things like the women's versus the men's gyms at the public track. But, uh, don't hold your breath.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

He applied to Penn State? Wow. I'll make sure to keep an eye on him for you if he comes here :)

That jewelry box is gorgeous btw.

Kurry said...

YUM!!! I wana eat that~

I'm glad u got ur ipod back. Where did they find it?

And yes, I agree w/ above that the jewelry box is so nice!!!