CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

2009/08/17

Day 41 -- Moving in to the Homestay

I think today's been like 18000 hours long. Approximately.


The morning was, just like Friday, a whirl of last minute packing and a little panicking. We were rushed over to Yonsei University just to wait forever to meet our principals. They had us all line up around the chairs where the mob of principals and coteachers waited. Our names were called and we'd step forward, bow, and wave to whoever was frantically looking for that particular ETA. Many principals brought flowers for their new teachers, and one even had a giant banner that they unfurled when the ETA's name was called.

After that, we all went out to the most awkward, physically uncomfortable lunch of my life (at the time). Sitting on the floor in a suit was not the best way to meet the two most powerful people in my life. The two hour car ride that followed was also not very convenient. But I suppose the crowning moment of the day was getting woken up from an unplanned nap as the car rolled up to the restaurant where, unbeknownst to me, my vice principal and host family was waiting to have ANOTHER floor sitting meal-meeting.

What can you do.

So I sat between my coteacher and the VP, surrounded by my principal, some random other teacher, my host parents, and my host brother. I tried to remember what the right questions were: when do I start teaching; what should I call you, host mom and host dad; do I use a textbook to teach from; should I do my own laundry... there were a million awkward things that I had to ask in between the rapid Korean they were all firing across the table.

When I got to the apartment, my host mother helped me unpack and put away all my clothes. She's really sweet and I hope I get to know her really well this year, helping out with the chores and cooking and shopping and everything. Host brother, Seo Yeop, is a super adorable high school senior who'll end up being my life-line for the year, since his English is the best so he's the de facto translator in the family. Host sisters seem a little shy and scared of me, but I sincerely hope they come around because they both love KPop and I know we'll have a common interest there.


Sorry no pictures again, but since I just moved in, I didn't want to seem like too much of a creep right away. Seoul pictures tomorrow, maybe homestay if you're lucky.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Sounds like an incredibly nerve-wracking time. I wouldn't know what to do with myself x.x; Glad you're all settled in. Definitely looking forward to those pictures!