CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

2009/08/14

Day 38, 39 -- Talent Show, Seong Jun's Invitation, and Graduation

Day 38 -- Wednesday

I had decided a week or so ago that I would volunteer for the Talent Show planning committee. For the most part, things went without a hitch and it was a great time. WE did end up going way, WAY over the time limit, but the atmosphere told me that people were all right with the lengthy show. (That's about all for this because I plan on posting a few videos once I bang out this update.)
Also, a few days ago, Seong Jun invited a few of the ETAs to his house. We weren't entirely sure what we were going to do there but we inferred that it must include dinner or something just because of the time at which it was set. He took us over to the apartment complex and into his family's home. We took our seats on the floor while his mother bustled in and out of the kitchen, bringing drinks, home-made cchan (Korean pancakes), and an impossibly massive pile of kimbap (Korean sushi).

The other two ETAs and I dove into the food--in this culture, food and drink are hugely important so we tacitly agreed on finishing all but a meaningful few as is customarily done to show that the host has provided so much delicious food that the guest cannot finish it all. We tore into the cchan and kimbap like the ship was going down.

While we took a breather for our bellies to adjust, his mother brought out dinner. The cchan and kimbap were just appetizers. We managed to finish everything in a very Korean-satisfactory manner, however, and it was so fun to see the Quintessential Korean Household before I go off to live in a homestay with my own Korean family.


Day 39 -- Today

Today was graduation, where all the ETAs were recognized for the intensive study program we were put through this past month. We all received diploma-like certificates that verify the successful completion of the course. It was a nice ceremony they held for us and it brought some closure to this whole orientation chapter. Some.

Tomorrow, I leave for Seoul where I'll spend a few days relaxing before I meet my principal and he whisks me away to Nonsan. The past few weeks have gone by so quickly and it's hard to believe that not only have I been here for 6 weeks now but I'm already torn apart with saying goodbyes...

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

You sound depressed in your post. It sucks that you'll be saying goodbye to everyone, but I know you had a great time. I bet the talent show was fun ^^