CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

2009/07/01

On Packing

As departure gets closer and closer, it feels more and more as though it's not actually happening. Maybe I'm just in denial that in one week's time, I'll be moved into a dorm room in Korea, settling into a routine, and exploring the city of Chuncheon. I can't even comprehend that. It makes no sense to me.

Anyway, here's what's on my plate lately:

I spent all of last week vacationing with my family. Beaching, renting movies, playing board games, fishing, it was a good time. I suppose I was able to figuratively "pack" some awesome memories during that week.

PACKING


I've got my winter and teaching wardrobe all packed up. I like to think I was good in packing light, but who knows. I might get there and find out that I didn't bring enough pants, or that none of the sweaters are Korea-fashionable. But everything fits, and my bathroom scale says I'm only at 40lb, so I'm not going to sweat it. I laid out some of the winter clothes I packed in that suitcase just so this blog isn't entirely boring with me writing. Note, not included: my entire teaching wardrobe, 2 winter coats, sweatshirts, gifts, shoes/boots, jeans, and a bunch of other things I can't remember to list.

The contents of the other suitcase are sprawled across a corner of my room. As I do not physically own a second suitcase at this time, it is difficult to pack. I should get on that.


TEACHING PREP


I'm a geek, so I don't handle being unprepared very well. I made sure I had a solid foundation in Korean before even applying for the scholarship, I made sure I had my passport/visa/medical paperwork completed as soon as possible. I do not know how to prepare for teaching, though.

I ended up reading a lot of EFL. Apparently, I'm technically teaching English as a Foreign Language, not English as a Second Language. EFL = English outside of an English-speaking country; ESL = English taught within an English-speaking country. THE MORE YOU KNOW.
With the little bit of knowledge I know, I've been thinking about lesson plans and things like that. Halloween, Thanksgiving, those are easy. If you can think of any American culture things, they would be fantastic to know. Idioms, slang, holidays, hobbies, mannerisms... anything. Do tell.
Other than that, I'm just trying to get my act together for Friday. That plane is leaving with or without me being ready for departure.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hrm. I can't really think of anything atm. If I do, I'll definitely let you know. I hope to see you in Korea next year. Have the best time of your life, alright? Be safe!

Sending much <3 your way!

Anonymous said...

one thing that was veery different for me when i went to praha was the fact that you had to pay for water at restaurants and refills were not free. very miniscule to the average person but huge difference when you are on a budget! (thus usually i got beer when i normally get water)

-gigi lentz

ps. hope youre having a blast!!!