CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

2010/10/18

Day 470 - Lotte World, Baking

LOTTE WORLD


Lotte World is a Korean Disneyland, an amusement park with a somewhat childish theme running throughout. It's pretty small compared to Disneyland, you could probably ride just about everything and see everything there is to see in one day. Doyup suggested we go as a sort of 300-day-anniversary celebration, so we took Friday off of work and went up to Seoul.

The original plan was that we'd go to Lotte World and afterwards meet up with his parents. (Luckily) we never ended up meeting his parents because either Doyup or his parents backed out at the last minute. At least I'm not the only one totally terrified of the inevitable awkwardness.





BAKING

One of the hardest parts about living abroad, alone, is watching life back home go on without you. I kind of felt all last year that when I came home nothing would have changed, like time stopped while I was living abroad. It doesn't, of course. My sister graduated high school, my grandparents aged one more year, my friends got engaged and/or married.

Part of the reason why watching time pass for my family and friends hurts is that the seasons remind me of things that *should* be happening. Like when snow starts falling and the days get shorter, I expect to hear Christmas carols, go searching for the perfect evergreen tree, and taste eggnog. In the fall, when the leaves start changing and the weather gets crisp, I look for Halloween decorations, pumpkin pies, and spicy scents like cinnamon and cloves.

So I decorated my classroom and started baking during all my spare time. I haven't been able to find any canned pumpkin or candy corn, but I do what I can with molasses (dark sugar and honey) spice cookies and some sugar cookies.


It helped that Lotte World was decorated for Halloween, even if they did call it Happy Halloween Party.

0 comments: