CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

2010/10/11

Day 463 - F*bright 60th, 300 Days

This weekend was filled with anniversary marking. Additionally, I was incredibly ill. I went to the hospital, but a chest Xray and a CT scan later, they very obviously showed how incompetent they were and I left feeling just as crappy as when I got there.


In other news, it was the F*bright 60th Anniversary celebration this weekend. My teaching program invited 600 program members, diplomats, and alumni to the Shilla hotel (a ritzy 5-star near Namsan in Seoul) to mark the 60th year of the program. We started just a month before the North Koreans pulled their surprise attack on the South and started the Korean War, so it's pretty cool to be a member of the 60th class.

I sat with some of the other 2nd year extendees (and one amazing first year!) and we downed wine and bread like there wasn't going to be wine and bread anymore. Dinner itself was not quite the $100 per plate extravaganza I thought it would be, and then we had to sing.

Yes, as part of the celebration, all of the 100+ English teachers was forced to sing a song written especially for the ceremony. It was terrible and embarrassing and it sounded just awful. I'm not sure what they were expecting from a group who, for the most part, has little to no vocal training, but it was worse than a high school choir performance. Complete with the white-on-top, black-on-bottom matching clothes. Something I will not fondly recall for a number of years.


Besides the 60th anniversary, today marks DY and my 300 day anniversary. Hurray! Seems crazy that it's been 300 days already. We both took Friday off of work to go up to Lotte World, something we've been wanted to do for a while but is made EVEN BETTER because the amusement park is doing a Halloween theme now! So I'll be able to celebrate Halloween at least for a day.


I guess that's about it. The bathroom in my apartment is having MAJOR drainage issues, which is terrible since the shower is just chillin' out in the bathroom and drains through the floor. I dumped like half a liter of drain-o in it last night, so hopefully it'll be de-clogged by the time I get home today.

0 comments: