CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

2010/09/13

Day 435 - TOPIK and DY in America

TOPIK


it kicked my ass but it is done. that is all I'm going to say about that.


DY IN AMERICA

I thought he was joking or, at the very least, being optimistic when DY told me a few months ago that he'd be visiting America. He has a tendency to take "maybe" ideas or suggestions and repeat them as solid facts (not just him, a lot of Koreans do that). So when he reported to me that the Korean Army would be sending him to America for a week-long English camp in Florida, I laughed and just said, "That's nice, dear."

But he's on the train now, packed and headed for the air port. So I guess he showed me, huh?

He'll be in Florida for the week taking English classes and doing Q&A about the Korean Army with some Florida State students. I'm so excited that he'll get to see my country, but I'm kind of disappointed that I won't be there to show him around and see him experience all the things I call "familiar". There will be so many instances where my constant "In America, we don't..." or "In America, we have..." comments will suddenly become very true for him so I wish I could've been there for it.

The past week or so, I've been helping him prep for his week in the US. Reminding him that,

"IN AMERICA, WE" tip waiters and waitresses.
"IN AMERICA, WE" don't have delivery food like Korea, only pizza or Chinese.
"IN AMERICA, WE" don't wear all our clothes at the beach. Pack a swimsuit so you don't look like a massive FOB.
"IN AMERICA, WE" don't have good public transportation, so you may not be able to go to Orlando and the theme parks there even though it *looks* close on a map.


As he left this morning, I kind of felt like a mom sending her kid off to camp for the first time. "Did you remember to pack a swimsuit?! Do you need some money? You're only there for a week so if the other guys bring kimchi and ramen, DON'T EAT IT!!"

2 comments:

Kurry said...

in HK, we hav delivery for almost anything as well... but not the whole stew thing that u talked abt earlier.
in America, it's good to b tanned. hahaha

3toedshewie said...

An-yo-ah-sa-yo! I love your blog, great pictures. What happened to DY in Florida? Did he find something to eat without delivery? did he take your advice?