CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

2010/01/24

Day 202 -- Boyfriend's 28th/29th Birthday Weekend

It was a very Korean weekend. Even for living in Korea, it was a very Korean weekend. There are no pictures, but maybe that's for the best?

I started out on Friday by meeting up with the foreigner gang after dinner. We had drinks at a bar in celebration (?) of one of our numbers saying goodbye to the peninsula. He's headed back home to South Africa, so it seemed like a good reason to drink. ...any reason is a good reason. We headed out to our signature "dance club" afterwards, where we took the place over and turned it into Nonsan's only foreigner bar simply with our presence. We are that powerful.

Saturday was DY's birthday--he turned 28 in American years. 29 in Korean, so he's all freaked out about the whole being-30-next-year and constantly comments that he's "old" now. "ah, I can't remember... I'm too old." "ahh, I'm tired... because I'm old now." We met two of his soldier friends--Min Oo (yes, I realize this is also my host sister's name, but apparently it's unisex) and Sung Kwan(?)--and we went out for dinner. DY is basically as Korean as they come so obviously we had to have the most stereotypical of Korean dinners.

Oh yes, we had dog.

You may recall that I have already tried dog. Actually, it was at the very same restaurant. So this was my second time and his friends were so impressed that I, as a foreigner, was eating it. "Amazing!" and "Miraculous!" were some of the comments made in Korean. We clearly had to end the night with a bar tour and drinking, so DY got good and plastered. As it should be on your birthday, right?


Today was a lazy day. I went with DY and watched his baseball practice. I'm surprised he didn't hurl everywhere because he was soooo hung over. When I saw him this morning I had to try not to laugh because he looked so bad. Like death. Props to him for even waking up before noon for PRACTICE. We made mandu ramen for dinner because he's a bachelor in every sense of the word and not only can't cook but he doesn't have any food in his apartment even if he knew how to cook with it.

Tomorrow we're going to try to go snowboarding, but it involves waking up at like 4am, and since he's SOOO OLLLLD now, it may not happen. (note: I will probably be the one to cancel in order to get 6-7 more hours of sleep instead.)

0 comments: