CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

2011/03/08

Day 611 - Back to School

The GANADA classes have finished up. I learned soooo much, but it was kind of a kick in the butt to go from 6 hours of class a day to teaching within a 24 hour time period. Especially with the changes they've made at my school.


Remember, this is a vocational school filled mostly with students that don't want or don't need to learn English. But the English department has decided that my class (which is understood to be mostly just a babysitting hour) should be business English from now on. The curriculum they've drawn up is mostly very useful English that these students should already know, being high school students and all. However, everything they've put on the curriculum is something that, at one point or another in my 3 semesters at this school, I have tried to teach the students. With complete disaster.

The curriculum was mostly drawn up by a teacher that's been here for 5 days, so I'm trying not to get too worked up about it. It'll most likely fall to pieces as soon as she realizes the level these students are at. Good intentions, but misguided for the majority of these students.

In the meantime, when I'm not pulling out my hair over this new schedule, I've been heading up to Daejeon a lot. It was SLo's birthday last Thursday and a Nonsanite is leaving Korea, so I double-booked both parties. Luckily they were both held on Friday in the Galleria TimeWorld area (the youth hot-spot in Daejeon). Saturday, Doyup and I went on a date to the SAME area, where we did some shopping, read elementary school Korean lit books, saw a movie, and went out to eat at VIPS, a Western style buffet.

I wavered for a while on whether I'd take Korean classes in Daejeon again. It's just too much transit time for a two hour class that I'm not sure I'll get a lot out of. Then I thought about taking a TOPIK prep course with GANADA in Seoul, but I would most likely have to go up on Friday, stay the night, just to take the class on Saturday. maaaaybe not worth it.








0 comments: