CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

2009/04/18

ROK vs DPRK

I want to emphasize that I'm going to try to keep this blog as related to my trip as possible. I don't want to comment too much on politics in Korea or anything because (1) I am most definitely not qualified and (2) that's boring. Also, that is why there aren't many/frequent entries yet. I haven't left. There is nothing to talk about. But considering the rapidly-escalating situation described in this article on CNN.com, I am making an exception.

The following is a Spark Notes truncated version of the article because I know y'all are too lazy to actually keep up with current events, let alone things happening halfway around the world. No, it's okay, I understand. I would be the same if I wasn't about to move there. But now you can sound astute and snobby when, really, you were just procrastinating your homework by reading a blog.

On Monday the United Nations condemned North Korea -- which refers to itself as the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, or DPRK -- for launching a rocket.


"The Korean People's Army will consider sanctions to be applied against the DPRK under various names over its satellite launch or any pressure to be put upon it through 'total participation' in the PSI (Proliferation Security Initiative) as a declaration of undisguised confrontation and a declaration of a war against the DPRK," the announcement on state TV said.


Referring to South Korean President Lee Myung-bak, the statement added, "The Lee group of traitors should never forget that Seoul is just 50 kilometers (31 miles) away from the Military Demarcation Line."


"When a nuclear war will break out due to the war chariot of the 'South Korea-U.S. military alliance' is a matter of time," it said. "The U.S. and South Korean warmongers would be well advised to stop acting rashly, properly understanding who their rival is."



My reaction, with 76 days until departure for South Korea:
I am not really going to start worrying about North Korea's missles because, as I was reminded by a military friend recently, North Korea can hit South Korea just using cannons. The time to start worrying was, like, fifty years ago when North Korea first crossed into South Korea. Besides, I might be biased, I've got faith in the American military. I better, because I really don't see the UN doing much besides slapping Kim's wrist and sending him home.

WARNING: Following contains some hardcore swearing. But I'm fairly certain that all my readers are over the age of 15, and thus have heard all these words before. If you're easily offended, though, just don't click "play".

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lol @ the clip. Yeah, I don't see too much to worry about. It'll be fine ^^